Blogger Layouts

Monday, September 19, 2011

Beau Jo's Pizza




Beau Jo's pizza is a unique "Colorado Style" pizza, otherwise known as a "Mountain Pie". There are eight locations, seven of them in Colorado. The original one is in Idaho Springs, up the mountains West of Denver off I-70, on the way to the ski resorts up there. I like to make a stop through Idaho Springs when I have the time, to hit Beau Jo's. I admittedly have never had any of their menu items besides the Mountain Pie, which has a very big crust and traditionally you put honey on the crust after you eat the part of the pizza with the topping on it. I'm not really a huge fan of the big crust to be honest. I need to try one of their "Prairie Pies" which supposedly have a thinner crust. The topping part of the Mountain Pie is really good, though. They use premium ingredients, whole milk cheese (which I think makes a great flavor), and a distinct spice combination in their sauce. In the pictures you will see their "Little Sicily" specialty pie, which is pretty good. The prices, however, aren't very good in my opinion. A "medium" (2 pounder) will run you $18 to $20. The Idaho Springs restaurant does have a very cool feel to it, though. It's like a big log ski lodge. I suppose you are paying for the experience. It's a good pizza, but I have had much better for much less money. I recommend this place, but have to give it only 3 stars, maybe 3 1/2 on the taste itself. If you're craving honey on this crust, though, it's really good.
Web site: http://www.beaujos.com/
 

2 comments:

  1. I cannot disagree with your assessment and rating. The atmosphere is part of what you pay for at some of their restaurants. I personally enjoy their lunch buffet the best (not sure if you've tried that). The price is reasonable and then you can try all of their pizzas and just skip the crust if you don't like it with honey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lunch buffet? I'm intrigued! What location was that at?

    ReplyDelete