Blogger Layouts

Sunday, July 1, 2012

Mom's Spareribs




So far I have only blogged about restaurants that I have enjoyed, I feel I need to tell about all my experiences with wonderful food. What better way to start a new category than with my favorite dish ever? This has and most likely will always be my favorite dinner. It is my mom's recipe for spareribs.
I will lay out the recipe word-for-word, but keep in mind that I think part of what makes this dish magical is my mom's eye for picking out the raw ribs. I can't speak for how her experience helps her choose the right ribs, and trust me I have asked her. She doesn't think she has any special gift, but I do. Another key to this dish is the quantity of sauce. I believe the recipe for the sauce must be at least doubled, if not tripled. It is so good, you will want to smother your steamed rice with it! As for the steamed rice, that is key too. As my mom says, "Don't use minute rice. Take the time to do it right."
Here is the recipe verbatim:

3 lbs. country-style ribs
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
2 tsp. dry mustard
1/2 cup vinegar (apple)
1/2 cup catsup
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup chopped onion (or equivalent in dehydrated onion flakes)
2 tbsp. soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste

"Brown ribs in large pan in oven, 425 degrees F for 45 minutes. Drain fat. Meanwhile, make the sauce, cooking until thick and glossy. Salt and pepper the ribs to taste and pour half over the ribs. Reduce oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn ribs, cover with remaining sauce and bake another 30 minutes. If ribs are thick or very meaty, cover with foil and continue to bake another 30 to 45 minutes for added tenderness. Double the sauce recipe for more than one cake-pan full of ribs. Best served with steamed rice and your favorite vegetable."

Below is a picture of the goodness from my mom's own hand, this last Fathers' Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment