Blogger Layouts

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Arthur Bryant's - Kansas City




Just before moving back from Dayton, Ohio to Denver, Colorado in late 2009 I was watching the Travel Channel one night in the hotel after closing on selling our home. The special on the Travel Channel was about what the "Best BBQ in America" was. I don't remember who the judges were, but at the end, they decided that Arthur Bryant's BBQ in Kansas City was the best barbeque in the country.
Knowing that I was about to drive through Kansas City on my way to Denver, and that I was going to stay overnight with my sister in Kansas City, I called her and asked if we could go to this Arthur Bryant's place for dinner the night I was to be there.
We went to the one on Village West Parkway on the Kansas side of Kansas City. It was good, but nowhere near what I would call the "best" I have ever had. Granted we didn't go to the original one that was featured on the Travel Channel, but I assume the taste is the same. I was impressed with their pit, but the ribs were too dry for my tastes. I also had the pulled pork, which was good but again, not the "best".
Perhaps I am just not partial to the  Kansas City style BBQ. If I were to go for BBQ in KC again though, I would try a different place. My personal opinion is that Arthur Bryant's paid off the Travel Channel to do a special on them.
Web site: http://www.arthurbryantsbbq.com/index.htm

1 comment:

  1. Dried out BBQ is NOT "Good Eats." I'm not saying a "dry rub" is bad ... but the meat should ALWAYS stay juicy!
    Thanks for the heads-up to avoid this place!

    ReplyDelete